Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Today

Today I saw something wearing a turban and a dress and for the life of me I don't know if it was male or female. I almost convince myself of one (dress - come on now, DRESS=woman) and then swing violently back the other way (dress and MUSTACHE does not=woman). I spent at least five minutes trying to decide if those were boobs under that calico or just part of the rollage that was going on all up and down the torso.

Today I added to my Mortal Sin of making my Children watch old and slightly obscure television shows by putting the whole Blackadder discography on my Netflix list. And I'm not even sorry.

Today I tried so hard to go back to sleep just because I could that I forced myself into a state of hyper-awakeness. But I stayed in bed anyway, wide awake because I believe firmly in the importance of morning laziness at all opportunities. [Note: This is possibly because I was raised by a Morning Person who convinced me that being a Morning Person was a sign of Righteousness Before the Lord. This Morning Person clumped, on weekend mornings, purposefully and with intent to wound. I was a Night Person and always aware of my heinous sinful state. But I still wanted to sleep in.]

And

Today would have been my 20th wedding anniversary.

Which I didn't quite know how to post about, because yes, it sucks to have to put that "would have been" in that sentence. Because Kirk and I used to talk about how cool it would be when we had been married for longer than we had been single. Because I do still miss him and think about him every. single. day.

But

I loved being married to Kirk. I loved it when we were dirt poor and had three children under the age of four. I loved it when we were tired and stressed and desperately unhappy with everything except our marriage. I loved all of it, especially that it was funny and silly and we laughed all the time over things like turban-wearing hermaphrodites and Brit-coms no one else watched and how important it is to really, truly get into your lazy self every now and then.

And that's what I'm thinking about.

Today.

No comments: