Friday, October 16, 2009

Censored

I've been debating writing this post - both internally (I totally trounced myself on logic but I'm losing to myself with rhetoric) and externally. The thing is, like any other blogger there's a lot I don't write about. The Children, by and large, are not reportable out of respect for their privacy. I also don't talk about a lot of my personal life nor do I lay down all the boring minutiae of day to day stuff (sushi for lunch four days in a row! In a land locked state! I live on the EDGE baby). That's bog standard stuff and I don't consider it censorship - just reasonable editing. However, there are other areas where I have decided not to write something, often something I genuinely wanted to write, out of concern I might offend someone I care about.

But then what do I do when the thing I genuinely want to write is something I feel passionately about? Something where I honestly want to express my own beliefs? Something where I feel a wrong is being done and people should stand up and say so? And what do I do if writing that will possibly hurt or offend people I deeply care for?

Difficult.

But then, someone pointed out that dissent is just dissent, and that it can be done with compassion and care. They said that allowing those you love to know how you feel is in itself an act of love.

And, while I know that I will inevitably be judged for the opinions I express or the things I say, I also trust that the people who really know me and love me will listen even if they disagree.

So I've decided to write.

5 comments:

Bert Bananas said...

Wait til I get more popcorn!!!

child 2 said...

...ARGH! the cliff hanger!

Anonymous said...

Well, I expected more details, I must say.

Mujja said...

very clever, now even if people want to take offence they can't...now make with the details...

Megan said...

Heh. Sorry! The weekend sort of happened in the middle there. Post coming up.

And Child2 - CALL! Whenyoucanthankyouverymuchindeed